Your decisions may feel overwhelming. What kind of wheelchair do I need? What's a power-operated vehicle? Will Medicare cover it? How will I know? What accessories do I need? Will I have to pay for them out of my own pocket?
Memorial's Wheelchair Clinic offers:
- Trained staff of therapists and equipment specialists
- Certified Assistive Technology Practitioners on staff
- Evaluation to customize your needs
- Individualized care with a team approach
- Medicare review to assess qualification
- Follow-up service with repairs
What to expect
Our professionals in the Wheelchair Clinic are committed to help you find the perfect fit for your needs. When you arrive for your appointment, you and your caregivers will meet with our trained therapists and equipment specialists. Here's what you can expect:
- Discussion of your goals and your home environment
- Evaluation of seating and positioning, in order to determine what adaptive equipment will best assist you
- Review of your options for custom wheelchairs
- Review of wheelchair propulsion and management
- Our therapists will assess motor control, cognitive abilities, balance, ambulatory ability, skin integrity and other issues to help guide the decision-making process.
- We'll send a copy of recommendations to your physician.
We work with both children and adults, helping you with basic indoor skills and advanced skills such as navigating curbs, elevators and uneven terrain.
Scheduling an appointment
Working with your physician, you can set an appointment to attend one of our weekly wheelchair clinics. Our therapists and equipment specialists will evaluate your needs.
For more information or to make an appointment, call 217-788-3300.