Memorial's Kids at Koke Mill offers a program for parents of children ages 1 to 5 years old who are experiencing language disorders. "It Takes Two to Talk" is a program developed by the internationally-recognized Hanen Centre in Toronto, Canada. It is led by our Hanen-certified speech language pathologists.
The program involves parents in their child's early language intervention, and the need to help children and families as early as possible in a child's life. Parents learn how to help their child communicate better.
Parents who enroll in the program receive:
- an initial consultation by a speech pathologist
- eight small-group classes with other parents and the course leaders
- three individual visits with the leaders to discuss goals and strategies
- individual videotaped sessions of the parent/child interaction
- support from other parents who share similar experiences
- an illustrated guidebook with practical and easy-to-follow instructions on how to improve a child's language skills.
The cost of the program is $150 and is not covered by insurance. It offers a cost-effective way for parents whose insurance will not cover traditional speech therapy to receive training and information.
For more information or to enroll your family in the program, call 217-862-0400.