Support is available to assist patients and families with the physical, emotional and social adjustments that accompany a diagnosis of cancer. For information on support and education groups, call the Cancer Information Line at 217-788-4400 (call back number). For immediate attention, please call 217-788-3528 (Monday-Friday) or email us.
Breast Cancer Support Group
Women who have faced breast cancer facilitate this group, which meets the second Tuesday of each month (except December) from 6 to 7 p.m. in the Clarke Conference Room (E118) on the lobby level of Memorial Medical Center. The group is open to new members, their spouses, family, and friends. The objectives of the group are:
- To help recognize the physical and psychological trauma that results from the loss of a breast
- To discuss feelings related to fears, anxiety, loss and acceptance
- To acknowledge the role of the family in giving and receiving support
- To provide women with information for making informed decisions about treatment
- To provide social activities with family and friends
Springfield Regional "Us Too!" Prostate Cancer Support Group
The Springfield Regional Us Too! Chapter is open to men, spouses, and family members who are facing prostate cancer. The group meets the second Wednesday of each month (except December) from 5:15 to 6:15 p.m. in the Springfield Conference Room (B149) on the lobby level of Memorial Medical Center. The objectives of the group are:
- To feature a guest speaker on medical issues of interest to the group
- To provide resources, educational materials and information about disease and symptom management
- To offer an opportunity to share experiences and knowledge with other prostate cancer survivors
- To provide a forum for patients and their families to discuss concerns about prostate cancer or treatment
- To share information with those who want to keep up with the most up-to-date treatment advances
For more information about Us Too! International, visit www.ustoo.org.