Chemotherapy is often prescribed as a treatment for cancer. A variety of drugs are used to treat cancer. These drugs may be administered as injections or intravenous infusions to a vein in the arm; however, you may also be given drugs in the form of pills to swallow.

In many cases, chemotherapy may be given to you in an outpatient setting.  This could take place in a physician’s office or at the hospital’s Infusion Services.

Doctors who specialize in treating cancer with chemotherapy are called hematologists or medical oncologists. These physicians have special training and board certification in taking care of patients experiencing cancers of any type in the body organs and disorders of the blood and lymph glands. Your primary care physician can refer you to a physician specialist in the community with experience in treating your type of cancer using chemotherapy.