Every day, about 200 people choose Memorial’s emergency
department for urgent medical care.
We offer you comprehensive Emergency care with services you will
not find anywhere else. The
Regional Burn Center at Memorial is
the only dedicated burn center in downstate Illinois and one of only three such
facilities in Illinois. Our Stroke Center is nationally recognized for safety,
quality and strong outcomes.
Our facilities are designed to accommodate more than 60,000
emergency visits annually. To make sure each patient receives the individual
care he or she needs, patient care teams of a physician, nurse and technician
are assigned to patients during their stay.
Memorial's fast, quality healthcare is provided in an average
door-to-door time of less than 2-1/2 hours, compared to a national average of
approximately eight hours.
Specialty services located in the Emergency Department include:
- The Level 1 Trauma Center is a partnership with the Southern Illinois Trauma Team.
- Memorial's Chest Pain Center is equipped and staffed to provide patients with heart attack symptoms with an EKG within 10 minutes, a completed physician evaluation within 25 minutes and (when necessary) start of a procedure to open blocked blood vessels in as little as 43 minutes.
- Our Star 80 program teams caregivers and physicians to open the heart blockage in patients suffering heart attacks within 80 minutes, 10 minutes less than the standard recommended by the American College of Cardiology.
- Memorial's integrated, online medical
provide high-speed, expert interpretation of
advanced x-rays. We have a dedicated, "speed-of-light" CAT scanner.
Our expert on-staff radiologists are available to consult with physicians
- Memorial is certified by the Illinois Department of Public Health to provide pediatric care.