Patients typically have special needs after returning home following a hospital stay. Through It's OK to Ask, we're emphasizing how important it is for patients and their family members to recognize and understand these needs.
Patients are reminded how important it is to:
- Stay in contact with their physician or pharmacist, asking questions and taking notes - which will be more reliable than their memory.
- Have family members, friends or neighbors check up on them on a regular basis and making sure they know what signs to look for while monitoring their care.
- Obtain necessary home health care equipment and supplies (like bed rails and bathroom accessories).
- Read all operating instructions carefully and use equipment as designed to be used.
- Use extreme caution if oxygen is required in the home to prevent the possibility of a severe fire that could result if oxygen is exposed to an open flame.
- Keep a bedside telephone for easy access.