Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Initial Provider Course
10/10 - 10/11/2020
These courses are open to the general public and are held at Memorial Medical Center at the Memorial Center for Learning and Innovation in Springfield, Illinois.
In the AHA’s advanced pediatric course, students learn how to use a systematic approach to quickly assess, identify the underlying cause, and treat pediatric patients in emergency situations. Students interact with real pediatric patient cases, realistic simulations, and animations to assess and treat these pediatric patients. This includes applying basic life support, following PALS treatment algorithms, and practicing effective resuscitation skills and team dynamics. Through a combination of cognitive learning and psychomotor skills practice, the PALS Course improves students’ confidence and skill levels for delivering effective emergency pediatric care.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THE COURSE?
Healthcare providers who either direct or participate in the management of respiratory and/or cardiovascular emergencies and cardiopulmonary arrest in pediatric patients. This course is for initial certification and not for renewal certification. This includes personnel in emergency response, emergency medicine, intensive care and critical care units such as physicians, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, respiratory therapists, pharmacists and paramedics.
- The systematic approach to assess and treat a seriously ill or injured infant/child
- Recognition and management of cardiac arrest
- Basic child and infant life support skills
- Effective resuscitation team dynamics
- Recognition and management of respiratory distress and failure, including airway management
- Recognition and management of shock, including vascular access
- Recognition and management of arrhythmias, including electrical therapy
- Post-cardiac arrest care
Preparation is key to success in PALS. Obtaining a book and completing the pre-test is required prior to attending the course! You are required to bring your completed pre-test and submit it to your instructor at the beginning of class.
- The course fee is $199 for initial provider course (price includes textbook).
- Payment is due at the start of the class and can be paid by cash or check only.
The use of American Heart Association materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association. Any fees charged for such a course, except for the portion of fees needed for AHA cards and course materials, do not represent income to the American Heart Association.
All classes will be held at the Memorial's Center for Learning and Innovation at Memorial Medical Center in Springfield, Illinois. The center is located at 228 W. Miller St, Springfield, IL.
This class is for the initial provider course. You will attend two days of class.
- Time: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Instructor: Allison Helmerichs - email@example.com
- Location: Memorial Center for Learning and Innovation, 228 W. Miller St, Springfield, IL