Financial Considerations with Pancreas and Kidney Transplant Surgery
While you are considering the medical and emotional aspects of deciding to have surgery, you should also be sure to consider the financial aspects.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Does my insurance cover transplant?
- What is the maximum allowance for transplant on my insurance plan?
- What is the lifetime maximum on my policy?
- What is the annual out-of-pocket maximum amount?
- Do I have adequate coverage for post-transplant medications?
These are just a few of the considerations. Our Transplant Financial Coordinator can help walk you through these questions and more during this process.
Other insurance considerations:
- Is Memorial Medical Center considered in network?
- What are your transplant benefits in and out of network?
- How does your insurance plan coordinate benefits with Medicare?
Most patients with End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) are eligible for Medicare, at any age, if they, their spouse or parents have worked long enough under Social Security.
There are also hidden financial costs of transplant that should be considered:
- Transportation and/or gas
- Lost wages
- Child care
There are special programs and funds to assist with funding for both the recipient and the donor. Talk to the Transplant Financial Coordinator about these.