The Joint Commission Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification
Memorial Medical Center earned certification as a comprehensive stroke center from The Joint Commission.
Memorial Medical Center treats an estimated 800 stroke cases annually. Of the seven Illinois hospitals to achieve the comprehensive stroke designation, Memorial is one of only two hospitals outside of the Chicago region.
Our certification as a comprehensive stroke center, a level of care achieved by less than 100 of the nation’s 5,600 hospitals, recognizes Memorial Medical Center for its ability to provide expert around-the-clock care for the most complex stroke patients.
Comprehensive Stroke Center
The certification means that Memorial has:
- highly qualified physicians in key medical specialties (including neurology, neurosurgery, diagnostic and interventional neuroradiology, and emergency medicine),
- hospital staff with unique and ongoing training,
- and the latest technology to provide each patient with a full spectrum of treatment options and interventions.
Memorial's Stroke Team
Memorial’s comprehensive interdisciplinary stroke team has the capability to quickly evaluate stroke symptoms using advanced medical imaging and deliver time-sensitive treatments and procedures to prevent death and life-altering disabilities, including those available only under specialized research protocols.
The stroke team at Memorial Medical Center includes board-certified physicians and surgeons from Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Clinical Radiologists, Mid-America Emergency Physicians and Springfield Clinic, in addition to healthcare professionals from a variety of clinical disciplines.
Joint Commission Requirements
The Joint Commission’s requirements for a comprehensive stroke center include:
- having the infrastructure, staff and training resources to provide state-of-the-art care to all stroke patients;
- providing a dedicated neurointensive care unit with round-the-clock neurointensive care for complex stroke patients;
- and using advanced imaging capabilities.
These comprehensive stroke center requirements were developed in collaboration with the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association and a group of national stroke experts as the standard for the highest level of stroke care.