To avoid cancellation or delay of your procedure, it is important you follow all instructions about preparing for surgery.
What To Do At Home
- If you feel sick or have a fever, call your physician. It may be necessary to postpone your surgery.
- If your surgeon instructs you to, take a shower the night before AND the morning of surgery with antibacterial soap (Hibiclens), and put on clean,
freshly-washed clothes to come to the hospital. Please wear comfortable, loose-fi tting clothing.
- You may brush your teeth, but DO NOT swallow any water.
- Remove ALL body piercing and jewelry. Leave your valuables at home. There is no storage area at the hospital for these items, and Memorial is not
responsible for the security of them.
- Contact lenses, glasses, hearing aids, and dentures cannot be worn in the operating room. Please bring a case for these items with you on the day
- Take only the medicines your doctor has approved/recommended with a small sip of water.
Do Not Do the Following
- DO NOT suck on mints, chew gum, eat or drink anything including water for eight hours before surgery (unless your physician instructed you otherwise).
- DO NOT smoke or chew tobacco the morning of your surgery.
- DO NOT wear make-up or nail polish.
What To Do At the Hospital
- Check-in. To allow preparation time before your procedure, please arrive on time and in the correct location.
- We will ask you for a list of your medications, insurance cards and forms from your physician. Then we will review your medical history, have you change into a patient gown and start an IV. If you have any questions while we are getting you ready, please ask. We are here to help you.
- We will ask you several times to tell us your name, medications, allergies and procedure. We repeat these questions for your safety.
The scheduled time for surgery and the actual time in surgery can vary. We will keep you informed of any changes.
There is a staffed waiting room for your family members and friends where they can ask questions and get information about you. They can also go to the coffee shop or the cafeteria; but we do ask for someone stay in the waiting area for updates about you.